[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] LLVM 3.4 Branch Freeze

Tom Stellard tom at stellard.net
Fri Dec 13 08:24:59 PST 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 02:45:51PM +0100, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Many of my colleagues say that, with gcc, they wait for
> > the x.y.1 release before upgrading because the .0 is too buggy. But if
> > we're not doing point releases, then I think we need tighter standards
> > for release. Doing otherwise is not fair to our users.
>
> What happened to the LLVM/Clang maintenance release project?

We weren't able to make a 3.3.1 release, because we did not have enough
testers.

In order to have a successful maintenance release, we need to either:

a) Get commitments from everyone who wants a maintenance release that
they will help test the release.

or

b) Have less strict testing requirements for maintenance releases with
   the assumption that there is a lot of ongoing testing between .0 and .1
   so there are less likely to be bugs left when it is time to release .1,
   and anyone who cares about a maintenance release has had enough time to file
   bugs.

I really think maintenance releases are really important for Open Source
projects, because these projects get much more testing after a release than
before it.

I would volunteer to maintain a stable branch again after the 3.4
release, but I think we need to solve our release validation issues first.

-Tom