[cfe-dev] Documenting Clang: question about how best to deliver the doc

Paul A. Bristow pbristow at hetp.u-net.com
Thu Aug 22 10:33:22 PDT 2013

Just to add another possibility if you decide to use Doxygen-style comments.

Doug Gregor and others at Boost have developed a Doxygen interface from Boost's Quickbook to provide
a C++ reference section containing all the info in the Doxygen comments

\tparam, \param, \returns ...

Quickbook gives you most of the format control, automated hyperlinks, syntax colouring ... in your
textual documentation like tutorials, that you are likely to want.

Snippets of code can in included, so you can ensure that the code examples in the docs have been
compiled and run.

Lots of the biggest and newest libraries in Boost use this system and I think they look very nice.

So providing the Doxygen comments are there (the big task?), you can process them downstream in more
than one way.

HTH

Paul

---