[cfe-dev] Clang triple canonicalization

Kal Conley kcconley at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 08:55:01 PDT 2013

Hi,
I am trying to build clang as a cross compiler and I am having some trouble
getting it working. I configured clang with cmake options:

cmake ../llvm-3.3 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
-DLLVM_DEFAULT_TARGET_TRIPLE=i586-XXX-linux-gnu
-DDEFAULT_SYSROOT=/usr/i586-XXX-linux-gnu/sys-root
-DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD=X86

But clang -v reports:

Target: i386-XXX-linux-gnu

So clang is canonicalizing the i586 into i386. This is causing clang to
fail to find all the gnu cross tools with names
/usr/bin/i586-XXX-linux-gnu-*
Is there any good reason for this canonicalization? Does it make sense to
disable it? What is the best way about solving this issue?

Thanks!
-Kal