[cfe-dev] Clang universal driver project state

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 10:48:20 PDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 8:40 AM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola
<rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is a very simple and clean solution he is proposing.
>> Clang should be able to read from a simple ascii file where the components
>> of the target infrastructure are located: i.e. header files, assembler,
>> linker, libraries, etc.
>
> Why can't the files be response files? The driver already communicates
> all the header info to cc1 via command lines. Having command lines for
>  disabling autodetect and selecting the linker, library layout, etc is
> good for testing anyway.

Yep, this is what I was wondering/asking at the social last night. If
all these options are (or should be) command line arguments for clang
anyway, all we really want is the ability to specify a file containing
command line arguments (this seems slightly different from a "response
file" - I mean literally just a file containing command line args and
a command line "-args foo.txt" & it just substitutes the contents of
the file as if it were arguments immediately written there (so they
override and can be overridden as usual))