[cfe-dev] Clang and related tools are for ARM too ?

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 15:19:30 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Arji Cot <arjicot at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's possible to run clang and all the other related compiler tools on an
> armv5 or armv7 device ?
Apple usually handles the Clang port for their operating systems. The
a release lag, of course. The list has some messages about dialing in
the latest Clang to a Xcode installation.

AOSP/Android has ported Clang 3.2 and 3.3 to their NDK R9. The R8 NDK
included Clang 3.2.

> In other words: Can I use clang on an ARM device just like I'm used to on an
> X86 desktop machine ?
Well, I imagine it would be painful to run a compiler on a phone,
though some are doing it on tablets.

More often, a cross compiler is built for a host (your desktop) for a
target (your phone or tablet).

Jeff