[cfe-dev] RFC: YAML as an intermediate format for clang::tooling::Replacement data on disk

David Chisnall David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 1 06:26:31 PDT 2013

On 1 Aug 2013, at 14:06, "Vane, Edwin" <edwin.vane at intel.com> wrote:

> Speaking of JSON, this was suggested on IRC. It seems like it would be just as fine as YAML for this situation since there's no need for references or comments (yet, anyway). However, LLVM has no generic JSON parser, just a specific implementation for compilation databases. The YAML reader/writer that LLVM provides is completely generic and available right now even if it provides some features we don't need.

It would be nice if we had some generic object serialisation infrastructure in LLVM that could output multiple different representations, including something human-readable, something standard (e.g. JSON, XML), and something cheaply machine-parseable.  We already have Clang AST serialisation, LLVM IR serialisation, and a number of other things.  Some generic framework that would be used by all of these and by tooling things would be great.

David