[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] [Announcement] Call For 3.3 Testers!

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 21:41:56 PDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Bill Wendling <wendling at apple.com> wrote:

> Hear ye! Hear ye! This is a call for testers for the 3.3 release!!!
>
> What's Expected
> ---------------
>
> You might be asking yourself, "Self, I would like to be an LLVM tester for
> the 3.3 release, but I don't know what's involved in being one." Well, ask
> yourself no more! Not only do I have the answers for you, but talking to
> yourself will cause people to avoid you.
>
> Here's a short list of things you're expected to do:
>
> 1) You will maintain a machine for the duration of testing. Updating the
> OS or tools would add extra variables to the equation that may delay
> testing. So we expect your machine to be stable the whole time.
>
> 2) You will compile the previous release (3.2) and then run the full test
> suite for that release. This is your baseline for future testing.
>
> 3) When the newest release candidate is announced, you'll download the
> release candidate's sources, compile them, and run the regression tests.
>
> 4) Assuming that the regression tests passed, you will then run the full
> test suite.
>
> 5) You will compare the results from (4) with the full test suite results
> from the last release (the baseline you generated in (2)).
>
> 6) If there are no regressions in (5), then you will package up a tar-ball
> of the binaries you generated and send them to me. I'll post those binaries
> on the website so that others may test with them.
>
> 7) Most importantly: You are expected to file PR reports for *any* issues
> you run into.
>
> 8) And, of course, put up with me pestering you to get things done. :-)
>
> We have scripts to compile and run the tests for the release candidates.
> You're expected to complete your testing fairly quickly so that we can get
> the binaries out to the community for further testing. ("Fairly quickly"
> here is intentionally vague. Some machines aren't fast, or people don't
> have time for an immediate response. But we would like to have binaries
> before the week is up. :-) )
>
> We plan for two iterations of the above type of testing, with a week in
> between them to allow for bug fixing. If we have show stoppers after the
> second round, we will need to add a third round of testing, but we strive
> to avoid that as much as possible. The whole process takes roughly a month
> to do.
>
> Here are some of the platforms we currently support:
>
> * Mac OS X (64-bit)
> * FreeBSD (32- and 64-bit)
> * Linux (32- and 64-bit)
> * ARM
> * Windows (experimental)
>
> If you are interested in being a testers, please send me an email and let
> me know which platform you'd like to test!!
>
> Share and enjoy!
> -bw

Is there a web page to describe the above testing phases in detail in an
algorithmic way ,
such as :

(A) :

(1) Download ...x...
(2) Extract ...x...
(3) Apply script ...y...
(4) If output is ...
     then ... Do the following : ...
     else ... Do the following : ...
.
.
.

(B) :
.
.
.

Such a detailed algorithmic description may allow more ( less experienced
people )
to participate in testing .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk