[cfe-dev] [PROPOSAL] per-function optimization level control

Andrea_DiBiagio at sn.scee.net Andrea_DiBiagio at sn.scee.net
Wed Apr 24 08:36:13 PDT 2013

Hi,

> Especially since we have support for per function code gen attributes
now.

I think having function attributes would certainly be useful.
GCC for example provide support for both pragma and function attributes to
control per-function optimizations. Also, the effect of using pragma
optimize to control optimizations on a per-function basis is equivalent in
GCC to specifying the 'optimize' function attribute (followed by a string
describing an optimization option) for that function.

In my opinion we could also have both pragma and function attributes:
having a pragma does not mean that we cannot have function attributes.

A very common pattern that we see in our customers' code is a unity build.
 That is, in order to reduce debug data overhead, and to improve link-time
they'll group large numbers of their source files together into single
"unity files".  e.g.

// ------------------
// unity01.cpp
#include <physics.cpp>
#include <textures.cpp>
#include <renderer.cpp>
etc.
// ------------------

In some cases if they've narrowed down a problem, they'll want to debug
individual functions inside one of these files in which case an attribute
may be enough.
However, if they just know, for example, that they have a problem
somewhere in their texture code they'll often want to do something like
this:

// ------------------
// unity01.cpp
#include <physics.cpp>

#pragma clang optimize push
#pragma clang optimize "O0"
#include <textures.cpp>
#pragma clang optimize pop

#include <renderer.cpp>
etc.

Thanks,
-- Andrea DiBiagio

If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster at scee.net
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for
all known viruses.
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited
Registered Office: 10 Great Marlborough Street, London W1F 7LP, United
Kingdom
Registered in England: 3277793