[cfe-dev] APFloat::toString() handling of MS FLT_MAX and DBL_MAX

Will Wilson will at indefiant.com
Mon Apr 15 14:59:32 PDT 2013

Hi All,

I'm rewriting MS C++ code via clang and have an issue involving the printed
representations of FLT_MAX and DBL_MAX. In both cases the printed literals
exceed the inputs.

>From MS float.h:

#define DBL_MAX         1.7976931348623158e+308
// Becomes 1.797693134862316E+308

#define FLT_MAX         3.402823466e+38F
// Becomes 3.4028235E+38F

Rewriting the values leads to compilation errors due to the literals
exceeding their maximums. This doesn't altogether surprise me given the
nature of FP arithmetic and string conversion but I was wondering if this
could/should be treated as a bug given the significance of these values?

- Will.