[cfe-dev] GSOC Static Analyzer Proposal

Adam Schnitzer adamschn at umich.edu
Tue Apr 9 20:51:49 PDT 2013

Hello All,

I am planning on proposing a project for Google Summer of Code this summer,
and would like to get your feedback before I write up a formal proposal.

I would like to work on improving support for C++ in the static analyzer.
Specifically, I think it would be valuable to improve the checkers for
undefined behavior including those already
suggested<http://clang-analyzer.llvm.org/potential_checkers.html>
.

Also, I think it would be helpful to extend the static analyzer to check
for stylistic violations. For example, projects like LLVM have suggestions
like, "Don't use else after a return". These warnings would often be noisy,
and project dependent, so it would be useful to make those options
configurable and suppressible.

I am also interested in implementing several of the optimization checkers.
Specifically, it would be valuable to have warnings about postfix increment
and pass by value give an idea of how large the object being copied is.

I would be very interested to hear your feedback, specifically, if you
think this project would be valuable.

Thank You,
Adam Schnitzer