[cfe-dev] Adding support for multiple non-virtual inheritance for -cxx-abi microsoft

Timur Iskhodzhanov timurrrr at google.com
Mon Apr 8 12:29:25 PDT 2013

2013/4/8 John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com>:
> On Apr 8, 2013, at 11:02 AM, Timur Iskhodzhanov <timurrrr at google.com> wrote:

>>> Interesting.  Does MSVC make a thunk for B's vtable in this, or does it
>>> just double-emit the function body?
>>>  struct A { virtual void a(); };
>>>  struct B { virtual void a(); };
>>>  struct C : A, B { virtual void a(); };
>> Great question - it does emit a B-to-(A,C) adjusting thunk for the "C
>> vtable for the B part"!
>>
>>> I also find it curious that MSVC uses a thunk for member pointers, since
>>> the required this-adjustment is already plainly expressible in the member
>>> pointer value.
>> Me too actually.
>> Reid, wdyt?

>>> Yes, that seems reasonable.

>>> I would just make sure to pass the right RD down.
>> Ah, yeah, I've missed this idea :)
>>
>>> The code calling
>>> this will need to be significantly different anyway, since the call algorithm
>>> is different.

>>> That doesn't have a unique answer.
>>>
>>> You can walk up the override chains, although it's possible that you'll
>>> need to stop at a virtual base boundary.

>>> You'll need to construct a base path as you walk the override chains,
>>> and then basically do that derived-to-base conversion.

>>> As Reid suggested, I think the way to go here is to make VTableBuilder
>>> become ItaniumVTableBuilder and make a new MicrosoftVTableBuilder.
Do you think it's OK to do the rename as the first step, with
post-commit review?

>>> There should be a lot of common behavior you can share between
>>> the implementations.
>> Should they have a common base / interface or just separate at first?
>
> If you think there's something that can be interestingly abstracted out, feel
> free, but I'm not sure what it would be off-hand.

Just wanted to clarify if I'm reading this correctly: your suggested
default approach is "just write a new separate MicrosoftVTableBuilder
from scratch", right?
Do you think it's OK to put it into the same VTableBuilder.cpp file so
it's easier to reuse some handy static functions out there?
Probably a better filename would be VTableBuilders.cpp as it'll be
building different kinds of vtables (one-for-all vtable in ItaniumABI,
vftables and maybe vbtables in Microsoft ABI).