[cfe-dev] Adding support for multiple non-virtual inheritance for -cxx-abi microsoft

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Mon Apr 8 09:46:54 PDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Timur Iskhodzhanov <timurrrr at google.com>wrote:

> Q3) vtable layout
> In Itanium ABI, there's one vtable for each class.
> The non-virtual bases get address points somewhere in the middle of this
> vtable.
>
> In Microsoft ABI, each base gets its own vtable, e.g. for the class C
> we'll have
> "C vtable for the A part" and "C vtable for the B part".
>
> We do the same in Clang, but that'd require some API changes to
> VTableBuilder - i.e. you'll need to know a pair of classes to generate
> a vtable, not just one.

It's actually more than that.  Because a non-virtual base can appear more
than once as a subobject, you need the base of the current subobject and
the inheritance path to the most derived class.

This came up in the virtual base table mangling patch I sent.  I assume
we'll need similar logic at some point.

> We can go our own Itanium-like way and emit one vtable with address
> points and still make this ABI-compatible (this is how my local patch
> works) but I have a bad feeling that this may fail to work when we
> start supporting virtual inheritance.

IMO we should have two separate vtable builders, like we have two name
manglers.  The comments on VTableContext::isMicrosoftABI() talk about
adding such a layer.  They may be able to produce the same layout classes
when done.  I think we can go incremental and cross that bridge later, but
that's what we should aim for.