[cfe-dev] unraveling libcxxabi/libcxx

David Fang fang at csl.cornell.edu
Tue Apr 2 17:35:32 PDT 2013

Hi,
 	I'm currently looking into porting libcxx to an ancient system
(powerpc-darwin8), and I noticed that libcxx depends on libcxxabi.
However, libcxxabi's sources include headers like <exception> which are
expected to be in some C++ library.  Does it (mutually) depend on libcxx?
Maybe this was obvious, but I take it libcxxabi needs a c++11 compiler to
build, correct?  (This would be fine, as I have stage-1 clang built from
gcc-4.0/libstdc++.)  Does one {libcxx,libcxxabi} need to be installed
before the other, or should they be built cross-referencing each others
include dirs?  In terms of shared-library dependencies, libcxx should link
to libcxxabi, right?

Is there better documentation somewhere that I don't know about?
All I see are html pages at http://libcxxabi.llvm.org and
http://libcxx.llvm.org/.

Fang

--