[cfe-dev] [pocl-devel] [LLVMdev] SPIR provisional specification is now available in the Khronos website

Carlos Sánchez de La Lama csanchezdll at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 00:34:10 PDT 2012

Hi guys,

> So it is valid SPIR, as the specification stands, to manipulate __local
> variables as Constants in a way that is extremely difficult to undo. That
> is, in order to transform SPIR to code that can run on a CPU, the
> GlobalVariable (which is a subclass of Constant) must be replaced with a
> dynamically calculated Value (which is not a subclass of constant).

What about translating automatic locals to function scope pointers?
This will make handling of automatic locals and local pointer
arguments similar, which is desirable as they are just a way to
describe the same thing (I understand automatic locals as just a
simpler way to use local buffers than local arguments).

In fact, pocl converts automatic locals to implicit "extra" kernel
arguments and manages both cases the same way.

Carlos