[cfe-dev] r161350 breaks the intention of ParentMap::addStmt

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Wed Sep 26 11:32:42 PDT 2012

On Sep 25, 2012, at 20:14 , Philip Craig <philipjcraig at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:18 AM, Jordan Rose <jordan_rose at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, it isn't PseudoObjectExpr that's the problem; it's OpaqueValueExpr. (I just realized that now, meaning my comment is wrong.) The source expr of an OpaqueValueExpr isn't directly accessible as a child to avoid multiple traversal, but the rest of that commit taught ParentMap how to look through an OpaqueValueExpr. That probably isn't the right thing to do.
>>
>> To illustrate the problem, here are the pieces inside 'self.property = value' (roughly):
>>
>> 0: $1.property = $2
>> 1: 'self'
>> 2: 'value'
>> 3: [$1 setProperty:$2]
>>
>> $1 and $2 represent OpaqueValueExprs that refer back to the real expressions in child slots 1 and 2. Child slot 0 is the "syntactic" form and is not used by CodeGen or the analysis engine, but it /is/ used for diagnostics. For the analyzer to print the best diagnostics, we want the parent expr of 'value' to be the assignment expression (0), and the parent expr of 'self' to be the ObjCPropertyRefExpr /inside/ the assignment ($1.property). Having the parent be the entire PseudoObjectExpr is possible but less than ideal.
>
> Is there a reason why the syntactic form is split up like that? Is it
> possible to have only two child expressions for PseudoObjectExpr,
> syntactic and semantic, where the syntactic form doesn't have any
> OpaqueValueExprs, and the OpaqueValueExprs in the semantic form point
> within the syntactic form. If this was possible, then the ParentMap
> wouldn't need any special handling for OpaqueValueExpr at all. (I'm
> not familiar with codegen or the use of PseudoObjectExpr, so this
> sugggestion may be way off.)

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it's because this way the CodeGen for a PseudoObjectExpr just runs through the semantic exprs, and never has to look inside any OpaqueValueExprs. By the time an OpaqueValueExpr is reached in the CodeGen traversal, it is guaranteed to have already been evaluated. The analyzer does the same thing.

I believe John is the one who designed PseudoObjectExpr, so maybe he has something to add here, but I think I got the gist of it.