[cfe-dev] -O2 requires GLIBCXX_3.4.9?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 04:56:38 PDT 2012

glibc version compatibility is based on supported features.  What that
means is that -O0 does not depend on features not available on the older
glibc.  -O2 does, and the features it needs are not available on the
older version.

In other words, the binary doesn't really say "I need version x.y.z of
glibc", it rather says "I want this glibc to support features foo, bar
and baz."  If one of those features are not available, you get an error
indicating the version of glibc that's required for those features to work.