[cfe-dev] Calling clang packagers: Do you install libclang & the python bindings?

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 4 07:56:10 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 01:34:54AM +0100, David R?thlisberger wrote:
> On 26 Aug 2012, at 18:00, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:

> >> On FreeBSD we do install libclang but do not install the python
> >> bindings.

> >> It's just been lack of a request.  I'd be happy to add a package if
> >> someone wanted to add a package that needed them.  I'd probably add
> >> py-clang and py-clang-devel packages to avoid a python dependency in the
> >> main port.
> >>
> > I am doing exactly the same for Debian and Ubuntu.
>

> Brooks, Sylvestre, thank you for your replies!
>
> My motivation is that I've written clang-ctags? and I would like to tell
> people to just apt-get or port install py-clang, and then they can
> git-clone clang-ctags and run it directly, without having to build clang
> themselves. But I don't know that anyone actually *uses* clang-ctags
> yet, so I don't know if it merits its own package.
>
> Would you consider adding a py-clang package without any package that
> directly uses it? What are the "notability" requirements for accepting a
> new package such as clang-ctags?

In principle yes since this looks trivial.  Ports are typically added
because someone wants them without any formal notability requirement.
So long as clang-ctags uses interfaces that are stable enough to keep
ugprades from being blocked by it, adding a port would have little cost.

> >> I'd probably add
> >> py-clang and py-clang-devel packages to avoid a python dependency in the
> >> main port.
>
> What's the need for py-clang-devel -- wouldn't py-clang already contain
> all the required python files?

In FreeBSD land -devel means "non-release snapshot".  In this case
arbitrary SVN snapshots to allow feature testing between releases.

-- Brooks