[cfe-dev] Announcement: Clang UPC: A UPC compiler based on Clang/LLVM

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Thu Nov 29 10:23:52 PST 2012

Gary,

First, I think this is spectacular! Thanks you.

Second, as you did not mention this in the e-mail, I'd like to point out that as part of this release, Intrepid's UPC runtime library has been released under a BSD-style license.

Third, regarding merging with trunk:
 - The LLVM change seems small, and can probably be proposed as-is
 - Regarding the Clang additions, it looks like you need to rebase them (maybe I'm reading the github page wrong, but it looks like this has not been done for a few months)

Can you comment on whether it would be possible to extend Clang's plugin interface to implement UPC as a plugin (maybe a static plugin if we're worried about exporting too many symbols)? When Intel proposed implementing Cilk++ in Clang, this approach was suggested. It seemed difficult to evaluate, however, because there is no implementation via which to truly gauge the requirements of the necessary interfaces. Given that we now have a public UPC implementation based on Clang, I think that we could use this to gauge the necessary requirements for language-extension plugins.

I'll also point out that UPC is a standardized C99 extension with implementations by IBM, HP, Cray, etc. in addition to several available open-source implementations.

 -Hal