[cfe-dev] RFC: A Great Renaming of Things (or: Let's Repaint ALL the Bikesheds!)

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu Nov 22 03:27:51 PST 2012

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 1:21 AM, Sebastian Redl
<sebastian.redl at getdesigned.at> wrote:
> On 22.11.2012 09:56, Chandler Carruth wrote:
>>
>> Hello LLVM & Clang hackers!
>>
>> Are there other names that are poor choices and are lingering in our
>> codebases? I'm willing to sign up to do more renames while I'm at
>> this, so this is a chance to get someone else to do the heavy lifting.
>>
> It seems like a good opportunity to make the capitalization of functions
> consistent. I suppose local variables are too much work, but functions would
> be a nice start. (Still an enormous amount of work.)

I think renaming large libraries and layers whose names are poor is
actually less churn, and significantly more benefit for the churn. I'd
like to not cross the bridge of automatically reformatting any of the
source code until we can reformat *all* of the source code with the
automated formatting tools under development.