[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: A Great Renaming of Things (or: Let's Repaint ALL the Bikesheds!)

NAKAMURA Takumi geek4civic at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 01:53:29 PST 2012

2012/11/22 Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com>:
> Hello LLVM & Clang hackers!
>
> Based on a discussion with Chris, I would like to propose a Great
> Renaming of Things for the 3.3-era LLVM and Clang codebase.
>
> First and foremost, the two most significant changes I would like to make:
>
> 1) llvm/lib/VMCore/... -> llvm/lib/IR/...
>
> I've discussed potential names for the VMCore (or LLVMCore) library
> with lots of folks, and the best idea anyone has was Chris's initial
> suggestion: IR. So I'd like to minimize the bikeshed discussions on
> this one. ;]

Oh I missed the discussion. I prefer "Core." Yes, bikeshed.

> There is one interesting question here: should we move
> include/llvm/*.h to include/llvm/IR/*.h to match other libraries?

IMHO, we may keep include/llvm/*. They should be essential interfaces.

> 2) clang/lib/CodeGen/... -> clang/lib/IRGen/...
>
> I think this name is so painfully obvious that everyone will be happy
> with this change...
>
> ... because it's the biggest change. It will involve a great deal of
> renaming (CodeGenFunction for example) in order to keep things
> consistent.

No objection to rename them consistent.
IMO, I am tolerant of *historical namings*.

> Are there other names that are poor choices and are lingering in our
> codebases? I'm willing to sign up to do more renames while I'm at
> this, so this is a chance to get someone else to do the heavy lifting.
> =]

s/AsmParser/IRASM/ (to be distinguished against MCASM)
s/ExecutionEngine/EE/ (or something like buzzword!)

...Takumi