[cfe-dev] RFC: A Great Renaming of Things (or: Let's Repaint ALL the Bikesheds!)

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu Nov 22 00:56:16 PST 2012

Hello LLVM & Clang hackers!

Based on a discussion with Chris, I would like to propose a Great
Renaming of Things for the 3.3-era LLVM and Clang codebase.

First and foremost, the two most significant changes I would like to make:

1) llvm/lib/VMCore/... -> llvm/lib/IR/...

I've discussed potential names for the VMCore (or LLVMCore) library
with lots of folks, and the best idea anyone has was Chris's initial
suggestion: IR. So I'd like to minimize the bikeshed discussions on
this one. ;]

There is one interesting question here: should we move
include/llvm/*.h to include/llvm/IR/*.h to match other libraries?

2) clang/lib/CodeGen/... -> clang/lib/IRGen/...

I think this name is so painfully obvious that everyone will be happy
with this change...

... because it's the biggest change. It will involve a great deal of
renaming (CodeGenFunction for example) in order to keep things
consistent.

Are there other names that are poor choices and are lingering in our
codebases? I'm willing to sign up to do more renames while I'm at
this, so this is a chance to get someone else to do the heavy lifting.
=]