[cfe-dev] Clang as a compiler-only tool

Krzysztof Parzyszek kparzysz at codeaurora.org
Wed Nov 21 13:55:46 PST 2012

On 11/19/2012 7:02 AM, Dmitri Gribenko wrote:

> Why don't you see value in having tests for the FreeBSD system
> compiler?  I think that running tests for such an important piece of
> system software is extremely important.

I believe the purpose of this is to build a base system, which also
includes a full version of clang.  In that case nobody would care about
the error message or "unreachable" or whatever, because it's not going
to be the final compiler.

The FreeBSD compiler doesn't change often, so once it's validated as a
system compiler it doesn't need to run self-tests each time someone
builds the world.

On my FreeBSD box, the majority of time spent in "buildworld" is spent
building clang.  I don't know if it's built twice or not, so I'm not
sure if I'm right here.  If my guesses are correct, having a cut-down
version of clang to build the base system would save some time.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation