[cfe-dev] clang_getCursorDisplayName bug?

Iestyn Bleasdale-Shepherd iestyn at valvesoftware.com
Fri Nov 2 10:36:12 PDT 2012

Hi,

It appears that the 'display' names produced by clang_getCursorDisplayName are not specific enough for function template specializations; that is, the template parameters reduce to '<>'. The display names of all specializations of a given function template are identical and thus ambiguous.

The same problem occurs for class methods, however the display names of template class specializations are correct. The display name for an unspecialized template class is still not ideal though; for example "template <class T> class myclass" yields the display name "myclass<T>" which does not make it clear whether 'T' is a generic typename or a specific type named 'T'! In this case, "myclass<typename T>" might be better.

I thought I'd post here before submitting the above as a bug, in case I'm missing something.

Thanks!

iestyn Bleasdale-Shepherd