[cfe-dev] How to create diff beetwen clang analyses?

Anna Zaks ganna at apple.com
Tue May 22 10:25:32 PDT 2012

On May 21, 2012, at 3:46 AM, Marcin Mirosław wrote:

> Hello!
> I'm thinking about creating automatic tool to create clang analyse every
> commit/every period of time. I'd like to do comparising beetwen reports
> to know if new commits brings something unwanted in code. Ideally it
> would be to see what errors was fixed and what wrong appears with new
> commit. But id would be enough to see new warnings. I've got no idea how
> to parse html to create usefull diff.

The clang analyzer can output plist files in addition to html. We have a python script which compares two plist files (See clang/utils/analyzer/CmpRuns.py). I've also started working on infrastructure to diff the analyzer warnings between different scan-build executions on the same project. We use this on an internal analyzer buildbot, which tests the analyzer using the same revision of analyzed projects.

The main issue is that we just compare the issues by file and line number, so if you have a change unrelated to a warning but in a file which does have a warning, the diff might change. This greatly limits the new issue detection; makes it noisy to the point it might not be very useful. So currently, the best workflow for a changing codebase is to ensure that the project does not have any analyzer issues and fix new issues as soon as they are reported.

We are very much interested in supporting the workflow you are talking about. The main challenge here is coming up with a smarter way of comparing issues and of cause implementing it. We envision this requiring support on the analyzer side.

Cheers,
Anna.