[cfe-dev] ParamDecls missing from function DeclContext

Abramo Bagnara abramo.bagnara at gmail.com
Wed May 16 10:49:50 PDT 2012

Il 16/05/2012 17:57, Douglas Gregor ha scritto:

> On May 16, 2012, at 2:23 AM, Abramo Bagnara wrote:

>>> Local function declarations definitely need fixing. IIRC, they still
>>> have the wrong semantic declaration context (as do local extern
>>> variables). And if we fix them, we can refactor just a little to kill
>>> off that LookupPtr in FunctionDecl's DeclContext (e.g., by splitting
>>> DeclContext into DeclContext and SearchableDeclContext).

>>> Okay, I agree that this is a useful general invariant.
>>
>> Everything is very nice in this way and we'd love to do in this way, but
>> this contrasts with

>>> Doug answer:
>>> I'd rather not spend any storage on a DeclContext* in the FunctionTypeLoc.
>>
>> Suppose we have:
>> typedef int f(int x);
>>
>> We should assign to int x a lexical DeclContext, suppose we choose to
>> assign it to the TranslationUnit... then to satisfy the invariant above
>> we should insert the ParmVarDecl in the TranslationUnit.
>>
>> I really doubt this is sane choice... what happens to all visitors of
>> DeclContext when they encounter these ParmVarDecl (that I'd say are
>> definitely "misplaced"...)
>

> The C(++) languages don't actually place such declarations in any
> particular context, so it's not clear where they belong in the AST.
> Introducing some kind of abstract function declaration that is the
> DeclContext might conceivably work, but that's a rather heavyweight
> solution just to maintain an invariant. Using FunctionTypeLoc doesn't
> really work, because DeclContexts are supposed to be Decls.

Just to be clear, I was not thinking to transform FunctionTypeLoc in a
DeclContext, but to put a DeclContext* in FunctionTypeLoc data.

This pointer points to FunctionDecl itself when the FunctionTypeLoc is
the type of a FunctionDecl, otherwise it points to a specific class
derived from DeclContext (FunctionTypeDeclContext?) that contains only
the ParmVarDecl's.

> Personally, I'm fine with having parameters in the lexical
> DeclContext of the translation unit for this case, but we can investigate other designs.

How you would skip them?

What about template instantiation of these? Everything would be added to
TranslationUnit?

Perhaps I'm the only to feel this way, but to add Decls to contexts
where they don't belong sincerely appears like a little mess to me...