[cfe-dev] [RFC] Bump up clang's __GNUC_MINOR__

Benjamin Kramer benny.kra at googlemail.com
Wed May 16 06:19:19 PDT 2012

On 12.05.2012, at 23:09, Chandler Carruth wrote:

> I'm looking into making this change, but there is at least one roadblock: __builtin_va_arg_pack (and _len). glibc makes quite heavy use of these in its public headers when the compiler is newer than GCC 4.3. I think we will have to add support for them in order to make this change. I'll try to look into that next....

Looks like we really underestimated this builtin, it's not really feasible to implement without a IRGen-level inliner. This is a huge amount of work for a little feature and I'm inclined to put it into the hall of broken gcc extensions right next to __builtin_apply.

On the attribute side there are at least 3 more attributes we'd need for glibc:

- attribute((warning("msg"))) and attribute((error("msg")). They look easy but the painful part is that they rely on CFG information so no warning/error is emitted for dead code. It's intended for use with __builtin_constant_p and inlining, something that we don't fully support either. At the moment we could get away with just using the normal mechanisms for dead-code warning suppression in clang.
- attribute((artificial)) this looks like a crude hack to suppress debug info for inline functions, I'm not sure about the implications.

So far we got away rather well with only implementing a more or less sane subset of gcc extensions even if our GNUC_MINOR suggests that we support all of them up to gcc 4.2 (including __builtin_apply and nested functions). So now thanks to the piece of software glibc is we're stuck at gcc 4.2 even though our subset of extensions expands greatly beyond that.

- Ben