[cfe-dev] C++ AMP

John Bytheway jbytheway+llvm at gmail.com
Tue May 15 00:25:47 PDT 2012

On 15/05/12 00:05, Hal Finkel wrote:
> On Mon, 14 May 2012 23:47:03 +0100
> John Bytheway <jbytheway+llvm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 14/05/12 21:50, Chandler Carruth wrote:
>>> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Rahul Garg
>>> <rahulgarg44 at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:rahulgarg44 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Hi.
>>>
>>>     New here. Tried searching for any discussions about C++ AMP but
>>> did not find anything.
>>>     I am wondering if there are any plans or projects by anyone to
>>> support C++ AMP extensions through Clang?
>>>

>>> Not currently. There is much work to be done outside of AMP on
>>> Windows, so until we make headway there, it doesn't make much sense
>>> to look at AMP specifically.
>>
>> I see no particular reason to aim to support AMP only on Windows.
>> Personally, I would be more interested in a Linux implementation.
>
> Out of curiosity, what does 'supporting AMP' mean in this context.

I presume it means implementing the specification:
<http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/0/E/40EA02D8-23A7-4BD2-AD3A-0BFFFB640F28/CppAMPLanguageAndProgrammingModel.pdf>

> Aside from the tile_static storage-class specifier and the
> restrict(amp) clause, is the rest of it just a template library, or
> would other frontend modifications be necessary?

I see some classes use __declspec(property(get)), which is a bit silly.
 It looks like the spec is also assuming sizeof(long)==4, which could be
a problem.

John Bytheway