[cfe-dev] scan-build man page

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Thu May 10 15:32:58 PDT 2012

On May 10, 2012, at 3:29 PM, "James K. Lowden" <jklowden at schemamania.org> wrote:

> Because you don't want markup in Options.td.

Hmm, but that's not what I was suggesting.  The checkers don't even appear in Options.td in any case.

What I was suggesting was piping the output of 'clang -cc1 -analyze -analyzer-checker-help' through a perl script that extracts the list of checkers and formats it with the markup for man.

> It's easy to use regex to find the markup and extract the data.  It's
> impossible to devise an algorithm that can generate the markup
> spontaneously except insofar as the markup is derivable from something
> about the data (say, its structure).

Yes, I think we are in agreement.

> Here's an example from the page:
>
> .It osx.cocoa.ClassRelease
> Check for sending 'retain', 'release', or 'autorelease' directly to a
> Class
> .Bq off
>
> That's a little broken, a first-draft cheat.  Those single quotes
> shouldn't be there because groff can't style them as open-close
> quotes.  In fact, IIUC they're literals, which in PDF format won't have
> quotes at all!  (Question for the audience: would the programmer adding
> this to Options.td know that?)

Ah, interesting.