[cfe-dev] Version agnostic path search for mingw

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Sun Mar 25 13:28:31 PDT 2012

I'm sorry I didn't respond here sooner, but this is not the correct
direction for this code to go or the correct solution to the problem.

The code in InitHeaderSearch is going away. We're moving it to the driver.
If you care about Mingw header search, please work on that rather than on
adding regular expressions to the fronted.

The driver already has machinery for searching for arbitrary versions of
GCC installations. It already is handling most of the things you've tried
to handle here, but in a much more principled way. That's the correct place
for this logic to go. Look at the ToolChains.cpp file and the support for
Linux header search there.

Also, it needs tests. The current patch adds legacy we'll have to support
w/o tests and w/o any confidence that it will work tomorrow. See
test/Driver/linux-header-search.cpp for details of how to test this.

Is someone signing up to do this work? I'm tempted to suggest that we
shouldn't support this functionality at all unless the support is done in
the right...

Sorry to be the bad guy...