[cfe-dev] libstdc++ Windows port

Matthew Faithfull mfaithfull at btopenworld.com
Thu Mar 8 06:28:07 PST 2012

Can anyone fill me in on the status of pthreads dependency in stdc++. As
far as I can tell the current situation is as follows:-
The libstdc++ Windows port uses MinGW, MinGW doesn't have pthreads
support out of the box, so do we need a special MinGW?
The obvious alternative, installing 'pthreads for Windows', doesn't work
due to that project being out of date (2006) and the fundamental types
being incompatible. for example pthread_t is a struct under ptw32 and a
pointer under OSX.
Using the OSX pthreads header(s) may enable compilation to complete ( I
haven't tried it ) but would then need a new OSX ABI compatible port of
pthreads to Windows in order to work. Is this in the works or are there
other plans afoot to get around the issue?
A full new Windows port of pthreads is by my very approximate reckoning
a minimum 3 months full time work so I'm not about to jump in if it
isn't going to be useful.