[cfe-dev] Good starter projects/bugs?

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Fri Mar 2 16:20:57 PST 2012

Write tutorials that are simple and can get someone from zero to a useful
tool in an afternoon, and keep them up to date. That's pretty low-hanging
fruit and it is something that LLVM/Clang needs badly. I've already started
putting something together here:
https://github.com/chisophugis/clang_plugin_example
Try breaking it or making it more interesting. The goal is to pack
something useful into few enough lines that it is comprehensible but gets
the point across that you can do cool stuff with LLVM/Clang. It's not just
the source though, the overall tutorial must Just Work. There are some cool
ideas here: http://llvm.org/devmtg/2011-11/Gregor_ExtendingClang.pdf,
however, they are not "in context", and the code to get the code from those
slides "in context" so it can be useful is the key.

Another place that could use some improvement is the calling sequence for
CharLiteralParser, NumericLiteralParser, and StringLiteralParser. There's a
lot of code duplication at their call sites. I submitted a patch for
CharLiteralParser, but it got buried in cfe-commits.

--Sean Silva