[cfe-dev] Source to source transformations questions in branches/tooling

Daniel Jasper djasper at google.com
Mon Jun 25 00:35:28 PDT 2012

Hi Philip,

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Philip Dunstan <phil at philipdunstan.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying some source to source transformations using the
> matcher/callback framework in the tooling branch. They are mostly working
> but I have a couple of questions and would like some feedback on whether I
> am doing everything as intended. Will you please help me?
>
> There are two transformations I am trying to make: adding the override
> keyword to virtual functions where we can and replacing shared_ptr by
> value function parameters with const references. I have attached the two
> cpp files to this post. They are also available from
>
> https://bitbucket.org/phildunstan/clang_tools/src/5d63a291d377/add-override-specifier
>
> https://bitbucket.org/phildunstan/clang_tools/src/5d63a291d377/replace-shared_ptr-parameters
>

> add-override-specifier.cpp
> Adds the override specifier to functions that override virtual
> functions from a base class and don't already have the override specifier.
>
> I have written the following matcher to find candidates functions.
>        AST_MATCHER(clang::CXXMethodDecl, IsOverrideMissing)
>        {
>            // does this virtual function override a virtual function from
> a base class
>            return (Node.isVirtual() && (Node.size_overridden_methods() >
> 0) && !Node.hasAttr<OverrideAttr>());
>        }
>
> In my callback however I don't know how to find the right source location
> to insert the override keyword. If there is no body I can use the end of
> the function declaration. However if there is a body I don't know how to
> get the end of the declaration section before the body. For example in the
> following example I want to insert the keyword before the comment. How do I
> get the source location of this point?
>        void f() const // overrides a base class virtual function
>        {
>        }

You could put the attribute to the location of the function's body
(FunctionDecl::getBody()->getLocStart()). This only works if the function
has a body but would be very similar to the end of a body-less
FunctionDecl. It does not play nicely with code styles where you put the
open brace on a new line, though. You could move back one character
(SourceLocation::getLocWithOffset(-1)). That would effectively not add the
attribute if you have trailing single line comments like the one above. It
might be possible to use Lexer::GetBeginningOfToken() on to move to the
front of such a single-line comment, but that would need some experimenting.

It might be preferable to know the end of the function's parameter list (or
the location of both parenthesis), but I think this information is
currently not stored in the AST and cannot be easily calculated for
functions without parameters :-(. We could open a bug for this.