[cfe-dev] is configure+make dead yet?

Jeffrey Yasskin jyasskin at google.com
Sat Jun 23 11:35:54 PDT 2012

On Jun 22, 2012 9:36 AM, "Konstantin Tokarev" <annulen at yandex.ru> wrote:

> 22.06.2012, 19:36, "Joshua Cranmer" <pidgeot18 at gmail.com>:
> > I decided to try recently to do one of my builds with cmake instead of
configure. The problem I hit is before I even try compiling in the first
place: cmake /src/llvm --help produces an extremely useless list of
options, so it's impossible to figure out how to configure it with cmake
without looking up online. Compare this to /src/llvm/configure --help,
where I can see what the default build will look like and also how I can
tweak it for what I want. Even the online documentation is kind of crappy
in this regard: e.g., LLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD doesn't tell you *which*
targets you can build in the first place. I'm sure most people who do a lot
of cmake know these settings by the back of their hand, but if you're like
me and totally clueless when it comes to cmake, it's downright confusing.

> Well, you can use ccmake to navigate back and forth through available
options, their descriptions and values

The two guis really aren't a good substitute for a helpful command line
interface. They miss newbies who expect --help to work on all programs.
They help moderate-experience people who need to browse the options. They
get in the way of experienced people who want to write scripts that select
a set of options without blocking changes in other defaults. And the guis
are irrelevant to experts.

Jeffrey