[cfe-dev] Extending CMAKE_EXPORT_COMPILE_COMMANDS

Arnaud de Grandmaison arnaud.allarddegrandmaison at parrot.com
Thu Jun 21 01:24:51 PDT 2012

On 06/21/2012 10:07 AM, Manuel Klimek wrote:
> The reason why you might want a slightly diffferent file format is the
> key.
> For the compilation database, the usual question is "how do I parse
> this TU?". What would you key on for link commands? The output file?

Hi Manuel,

Even in your usual case --- "how do I parse this TU" --- the input file
is not a discriminating key : this is why we get CompileCommands from
the CompilationDatabase. At some point, you need to choose one
CompilationCommand amongst several. I believe the real discriminating
key is the ouput file (with the build system I know). Beside, this would
enable other usages for the CompilationDatabase. It seems to me it is
good to have the input file as a key, but this is not enough.

Cheers,

--
Arnaud de Grandmaison