[cfe-dev] new alloc_size_ex attribute

Richard Smith richard at metafoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 18 13:45:09 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Nuno Lopes <nunoplopes at sapo.pt> wrote:
> Right now we have support for parsing the alloc_size attribute
> (introduced in GCC 4.3). This attribute specifies that a given
> function allocates x bytes, where x is given by the multiplication of
> the specified parameters.
> However, this syntax is still too restrictive for many custom
> allocation functions I've seen in the wild. Therefore I propose a new
> attribute: alloc_size_ex (or whatever name we come up with). For the
> best of my knowledge, GCC doesn't have an equivalent attribute.
>
> examples:
> char *my_strdup(char *str) __attribute__((alloc_size_ex(strlen(str)+1)));
> void *my_complex_alloc(int n, int size, int add)
> __attribute__((alloc_size_ex(n * size + add)));
> char *middle(int size) __attribute__((alloc_size_ex(size, size/2)));
>
> So the idea is that the first parameter of the attribute is an
> expression that computes the size of the allocated buffer, and the
> second (optional) argument gives the offset from the beginning of the
> buffer. (The remaining bytes that can be read are given by size-offset
> if offset <= size).
> I would suggest the expression's variables to be restricted to the
> variables used in the call expression.

This seems like a useful feature to me. What restrictions do you place
on the attribute's expression? Is it required to be a constant
expression? Is it permitted to have side-effects? If not, do you have
a mechanism in mind to check that? Given that Expr::HasSideEffects
doesn't know about strlen (etc.), this part may be tricky.

> The second point is how to implement this thing. Right now, clang
> doesn't allow expressions as attribute's parameters. Can the parser be
> extended accordingly?

Take a look at the thread-safety attributes; they already allow
arbitrary expressions.