[cfe-dev] always_inline with -fno-inline

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu Jun 7 17:55:01 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Greg Fitzgerald <gregf at codeaurora.org>wrote:

> Hi!****
>
> ** **
>
> When clang is invoked with the ‘-fno-inline’ flag and the C function is
> prefixed by ‘__attribute__((always_inline))’, clang does not inline the
> function whereas GCC does.  GCC’s behavior seems more intuitive to me -
> that the file-level annotation should override the command-line flag.  Do
> you agree?  Can we make clang match gcc?

Yes, I generally agree with GCC's interpretation here. Care to write a
patch implementing this? I'm happy to review it.

For reference, the 'always_inline' attribute often has a semantic contract
-- failing to inline it can produce wrong code, not just slow code, so it
should trump almost everything else.