[cfe-dev] MSVC /Za considered harmful

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Jun 6 03:29:36 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 3:18 AM, Benjamin Kramer <benny.kra at googlemail.com>wrote:

> A few words to /W4: We experimented with having an automated builder using
> /W4 in the msvc8-days but it was very noisy and slowed down the build by 2x
> or so, which was unacceptable for a bot. This may have changed now but it
> still requires someone to clean up all the false positives

If the warnings that will need cleaning are false positives, I'm very
opposed to this cleanup effort. We get no benefit from it really, and it
has a high long-term maintenance cost as the majority of developers will
continually check in new code regressing these warnings, as the warnings
don't represent actual problems with the code.