[cfe-dev] AST Matchers tutorial

Sam Panzer panzer at google.com
Tue Jul 31 18:34:43 PDT 2012

Hello, again!

As suggested by a few people, I have been writing up my experiences
starting development on Clang, and specifically working with Clang-based
refactoring tools. The repository where my loop converter will live doesn't
exist yet, so I will use the tutorial as a chance to start offering patches
for review (they can be rebased to other locations later).

My intention was to begin assuming zero Clang experience and work towards
building a slightly simplified version of the loop converter through a
series of fully-explained patches to Clang to a unit-tested functional
tool. Because the Getting Started page is aimed at people who want to use
Clang rather than develop for it, I began with cloning clang+llvm from the
git mirrors and preparing a cmake+ninja build.

What I have so far is currently available as a Google Doc here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oTkVLhCdRJUEH1_LDaQdXqe8-aOqT5GLDL9e4MhoFF8/edit
If enough people think that the tutorial is useful, I can eventually
convert it to a nicer format (i.e. HTML with prettier code formatting). I
expect to have made mistakes, especially in the section about obtaining and
building Clang :)

Thoughts?
-Sam