[cfe-dev] For loop conversion (was: C++11 migration tools)

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Thu Jul 12 23:07:04 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Sam Panzer <panzer at google.com> wrote:
> I accidentally sent the email before I was done (the Gmail tab/space combo
> strikes again), and you replied before I finished fixing the original :)
>
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Manuel Klimek <klimek at google.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Sam Panzer <panzer at google.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here are three kinds of operations that I would want to completely avoid
>>> any kind of recursive AST traversal:
>>>  - Optional matchers: In order to ignore certain ignorable parts of the
>>> AST, I often want to create
>>

>> Is there something missing?
>

> The missing part of optional matchers: I'm just wondering if a shorthand
> would be reasonable to implement. instead of something like
>   anyOf(unaryOperator(hasOperand(SomeOtherMatcher)), SomeOtherMatcher)
> One could use
>   optional(unaryOperator(hasOperand), SomeOtherMatcher)

And we arrive at where the problem is with something that looks like a
functional language but doesn't have a really nice way to express
higher order functions without lots of syntactical crap around it.

But it also doesn't strike me as so bad to repeat SomeOtherMatcher in there...

>>>  - Right-recursive matchers:
>>>
>>>   I have a function that hunts for the expression which is actually
>>> passed to a single-parameter constructor, which sheds ImplicitCastExprs,
>>> single-parameter CXXConstructExprs, and MaterializeTemporaryExprs until it
>>> finds something that is not a single-parameter constructor. Essentially, the
>>> matcher would look like
>>>   StmtMatcher =
>>> expression(rightRecursion(ignoreImplicitCasts(constructorCall(argumentCountIs(1),
>>> hasArgument(0, optional(materializeTemporaryExpr(RecursionPoint))),
>>> withBaseCase(id(expresion))))
>>

>> hasDescendant / forEachDescendant doesn't work?
>

> I am trying to enforce a particular structure on the way to those
> descendants - I only want to match the innermost expression if the AST was a
> linear chain of these particular kinds of node, and {has,forEach}Descendant
> throws this information away. If I'm wrong, that would be great!

hasDescendant will match at the first occurrence in tree-search order
(RecursiveASTVisitor order)

Cheers,
/Manuel