[cfe-dev] For loop conversion (was: C++11 migration tools)

Sam Panzer panzer at google.com
Wed Jul 11 11:08:32 PDT 2012

Good point. I currently have a matcher that finds for loops that appear to
have the right shape for conversion, and I do some extra checking along
with the conversion work in the callback. I can completely handle
array-style loops with a Preprocessor, which is used when generating the
names of new variables. For iterator-style loops, I use Sema to determine
the return type of operator*, which will be the type of the loop variable.
Finally (though this isn't implemented yet), containers that are used as if
they're arrays will require Sema to check if suitable begin() and end()
functions exist.

For now, I can force the use of auto rather than an explicit type listing
for iterator-based loops and get most of the work done without Sema. The
question then becomes the correct way to avoid repeatedly creating a
Preprocessor object, though if this is a cheap operation, I can create one
in the callback.

Does this make the use clearer?
Thanks!