[cfe-dev] C++11 attributes parsing

Alexander Kornienko alexfh at google.com
Wed Jul 11 08:27:14 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Aaron Ballman <aaron at aaronballman.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Alexander Kornienko <alexfh at google.com>
> wrote:
> > To summarize, at the moment we have several major requirements for c++11
> > attribute parsing:
> > 1. all boring attribute subject checks should be automated (using either
> > TableGen or a static code if this is possible);
> > 2. automated argument parsing (Sean Hunt planned to do this);
> > 3. custom attributes can be added by plugins (Joshua Cranmer has a
> patch);
> > 4. late parsing for attribute arguments? (currently no evidence that this
> > will be necessary, this would be definitely required, if we decide to add
> > c++11 syntax for gcc-style attributes);
> > 5. automated pretty-printing.
> >
> > Did I forget anything?
>
> Should we be concerning ourselves with Microsoft's attribute
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f520z3b3(v=vs.110).aspx),
> __declspec attribute, or type attribute parsing and semantics?  Or is
> that outside the scope of what you're looking to do?

The main reason of this topic was to figure out requirements for C++11
attribute parsing, but some of the things we discussed (attribute subject
checks, common argument checks) are applicable to handling all kinds of
attributes. So, wherever it is possible to make code work for all attribute
styles for free, I think, we'll try to do so.

--
Regards,
Alexander