[cfe-dev] libc++abi on linux

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Tue Jul 10 06:28:45 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 09:16:13AM -0700, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2012, at 8:00 PM, Ben Pope wrote:
>
> > On Monday, July 09, 2012 08:49 AM, "C. Bergström" wrote:
> >> libcxxrt + libunwind is the way to go imho
> >> https://github.com/pathscale/libcxxrt
> >> https://github.com/pathscale/libunwind
> >>
> >> These have been tested to work with clang - Admittedly the build process
> >> may not be straight forward, but if enough interest maybe we solve that
> >
> > It would be nice to have a documented/tested/working way of compiling
> > *and linking* programs using libc++/clang/llvm on linux, it seems that
> > libc++abi is pretty close to getting that working.
> >
> > This comes up on the list every couple of months and libcxxrt/libunwind
> > are usually suggested over libc++abi.
>
> Actually, the only people that suggest that are the pathscale folks.

Not only them. Last time I checked, libc++abi and libc++ still don't
have working iostream on Linux, i.e. abort() as soon as you try to use
cout or cerr.

There is one other issue with libc++abi relative to libcxxrt and that's
the size of the demangler. It's way too large for the functionality it
implements.

Joerg