[cfe-dev] is configure+make dead yet?

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 02:36:42 PDT 2012

On 07/08/2012 02:40 AM, Seth Cantrell wrote:

> On Jul 5, 2012, at 12:07 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> On 07/04/2012 06:16 PM, Seth Cantrell wrote:
>>
>>> Also, how does one 'install' clang with CMake? I see an install target
>>> in the CMake generated Xcode project, but Xcode doesn't have privileges
>>> necessary to run it. With make, after building you just do sudo make
>>> install.
>>
>> CMake has DESTDIR support.  You can install into a temporary tree where
>> the user has write privileges and copy it to the final tree as root,
>> adjusting permissions.  I haven't tried this with LLVM yet, though.
>
> I tried changing CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX but that didn't appear to change where the cmake generated xcode project actually tries to install the files.

This actually installs the files into /tmp/opt/llvm-20120709 for me:

mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/opt/llvm-20120709 --config Release ..
make DESTDIR=/tmp install

It's still using makefiles, but those are generated by cmake and are
completely separate from those in the source tree.