[cfe-dev] C++ analysis priorities

Delesley Hutchins delesley at google.com
Wed Jan 18 08:26:26 PST 2012

One area where clang could use some work is in general infrastructure
for supporting more expressive annotations.  The thread-safety
annotations, for example, can contain expressions that refer to
variables within the current lexical scope, e.g.

  void foo(MyList *list) EXCLUSIVE_LOCKS_REQUIRED(list->mu_) { }

I've been working on making sure that attributes which contain
expressions are handled properly by the rest of clang -- e.g. use late
parsing in classes, instantiated with templates, etc.

The thread safety annotations use GNU attributes, and are only applied
to variables and functions.  I have not yet added such support for
C++11 attributes, which can appear in many more locations.
Comprehensive support for more expressive C++11 attributes would,
IMHO, be a good place to start for people interested in
attribute-based static analysis.

  -DeLesley

DeLesley Hutchins | Software Engineer | delesley at google.com | 505-206-0315