[cfe-dev] Stack space consumption query

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Fri Jan 13 10:17:51 PST 2012

On Jan 13, 2012, at 6:00 AM, Dallman, John wrote:

> So this is not a complaint, or a bug report, but I would be interested
> to know if Clang is deliberately free with stack space, or is meant not
> to be, or anything else that is unexpected or interesting about the
> behaviour I'm seeing.

Hi John,

Clang does not intentionally use more stack space than GCC.  In fact, recent versions have specific optimizations to reduce stack usage (you get better cache utilization that way, etc).  Apple Clang 2.1 is really old, you might just check against a 3.x to see if it is doing better on your code.  If not, please file a bug report.

-Chris