[cfe-dev] First shot at Bug 4127 - The clang driver should support cross compilation

Sebastian Pop spop at codeaurora.org
Tue Jan 10 10:06:35 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at britannica.bec.de>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 03:00:30PM -0600, Sebastian Pop wrote:
>> > I would like the default config file to be created by the configure
>> > scripts,
>> > and all the logic that is currently executed at each clang compilation
>> > to be moved to configure time.
>>
>> This is the part I object to. Please do not make cross-compilation more
>> painful than it has to be. It works well for some of us without any new
>> movable parts, just by specifying the right target and --sysroot.
>

> I completely agree. I'm really opposed to removing baked-in support for the
> most common platforms. This should be about extending our ability to support
> less common platforms more easily.

Ok.  I don't have a strong opinion on having this detection at configure time,
though I would like clang to run this detection code only once, and not every
time clang is running.

> Also, I'm not really excited about starting to attack this problem from this
> direction. I think the first steps need to be refactoring and rationalizing
> the existing code in the driver to have a better design and structure,
> before we start extending it to support referencing an external data file to
> collect information. Otherwise I fear we will embed the wrong structure or
> information in the data file, and use these data files as crutches to avoid
> properly designing the internals.

I will of course let the clang maintainers lead the refactoring of the driver
and decide what makes sense to be saved in the target config files.

Sebastian
--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc is a member of Code Aurora Forum