[cfe-dev] clang 'make install' bug

Seth Cantrell seth.cantrell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 19:30:22 PST 2012

I haven't noticed anything on the mailing list about this. Has anyone else been experiencing an issue where after running 'sudo make install' on the llvm build area a number of files in the Release/ directory have their owner set to root?

⑆ ls -al Release/lib/ Release/bin/ | grep root
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root      staff   9663444 Feb 25 02:13 arcmt-test
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root      staff      9552 Feb 25 02:13 c-arcmt-test
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root      staff     68756 Feb 25 02:12 c-index-test
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root      staff  29577036 Feb 25 02:12 clang
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root      staff    715552 Feb 25 02:13 diagtool
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root      staff   8128768 Feb 25 02:12 libclang.dylib
-rw-r--r--    1 root      staff   1340616 Feb 25 02:12 libclangBasic.a

Prior to the sudo make install command these files have the appropriate owner set.

Changing the owner to root means these files have to be deleted before an updated checkout can be built. I wasn't seeing this issue before a few weeks ago.

I'm also seeing another issue where there's a long delay in one of the build steps, and eventually an error message is printed before the build continues:

Unable to determine upstream SVN information from working tree history

And the version information from the built version of clang does not include the source control revision information:

⑆ clang -v
clang version 3.1 ()
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin11.3.0
Thread model: posix

I'm accessing the official git repos rather than using SVN or git-svn. This issue also is new sometime in the last several weeks. I wonder if recent changes in the build scripts dropped support for git?

Both of these issues persist after a clean and full rebuild.

Thanks,
Seth