[cfe-dev] Preprocessor/Parser interaction

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Wed Feb 22 07:54:49 PST 2012

There's a huge amount of boilerplate needed to do what you want, and it
will still be missing things like #include paths which will render your
program unusable for real code.

The dependency graph of objects that need to be created in order to get a
Preprocessor is gigantic. I manually tracked it here as I was exploring the
APIs myself: http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~silvas/deps.svg . CompilerInstance
reduces the amount of boilerplate needed, but there are still crucial
things missing for it to be "useful" (see:
https://github.com/loarabia/Clang-tutorial/blob/master/CItutorial3.cpp and
try including stdio.h in test.c).

A couple weeks ago I went down this path that you are trying to go down,
and I can tell you that you are not going to achieve what you want by doing
it like this (e.g., as a standalone program using the Clang libs). There
are just too many little things that need to be configured in specific ways
for the compiler to work "as usual, except also run my
(PPCallbacks|ASTConsumer|...)". My recommendation is to write a Clang
plugin, so that you can forget about all those things. There is an example
plugin called PrintFunctionNames in examples/PrintFunctionNames that you
can look at (although TBH I found it extremely unhelpful for some reason).
If you want, I can post on github a minimal "hello world" example for how
to run a PPCallbacks.

--Sean Silva