[cfe-dev] Compile-time measurements in Chromium

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Tue Feb 7 11:22:59 PST 2012

On Feb 7, 2012, at 8:11 AM, Nico Weber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> nice numbers :-) One thing to keep in mind is that these are
> compile-time numbers, but the object files generated by clang tend to
> take ~20% longer to link than the ones generated by gcc, due to chubby
> debug information.

One way to look at that is as an opportunity: if we fix the debug info bloat, that will surely speed up compile times (particularly -O0) even more.  As it turns out, Eric is working on this exact area (shrinking debug info for C++ apps).

Eric, can you talk about some of the things you've observed and your possible approaches to tackle this?

-Chris