[cfe-dev] Python bindings overhaul

Gregory Szorc gregory.szorc at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 14:17:44 PST 2012

On 2/2/12 12:43 AM, Tobias Grosser wrote:
> On 02/02/2012 08:57 AM, Tobias Grosser wrote:
>> On 02/02/2012 01:00 AM, Eric Christopher wrote:
>>> Hi Gregory!

>>> This all sounds awesome. How about we start small here though? You've
>>> mentioned that you have a bunch of cleanups for eye sores, doxygen
>>> comments, etc that we could apply on our way to having the python
>>> bindings get feature parity with libclang. Let's get some of those reviewed
>>> separately and then tackle the larger tasks as we go?
>>>
>>> Thanks again for all of this work, I haven't had time to look at your
>>> github repository but hope to soon!
>>
>> Hi Gregory,
>>
>> just to give you some first feedback right now. I skimmed trough the git
>> repository and I like the overall direction of the patches. They seem to
>> improve the python bindings a lot. Unfortunately I did not have time to
>> look into the exact details.
>>
>> One comment:
>>
>> I think the patch is very large. This is good to show the overall
>> direction. However, to commit and review these changes I would very much
>> appreciate smaller patches. As I have seen in your git repository, you
>> have all this already divided in small patches. Most of them seem to be
>> easy to review.
>>
>> I will give it another look (either today or tomorrow). I will also try
>> your changes with clang_complete.
>
> I just did this. For me they were a drop in replacement. Everything
> continues to work as expected. The completion time did not change.
> clang_complete does not seem to be affected by these changes, but may
> obviously later take advantage of the new features.

Glad to hear it! Code complete doesn't have good test coverage, so I was
a bit worried about that one.

I'll start sending some smaller patches that incrementally add libclang
features. I think we can get a long way through the commits in my branch
before we start hitting some larger, more controversial changes.

Gregory